For Appointments: (515) 294-5801



Do I need an appointment? If so, how do I make one?

You do need an appointment. Find out how to make one.

What is the process to schedule an appointment?

Everything you need to know about scheduling an appointment can be found on our Appointments page.

What do I need to have to be prepared for my appointment?

Before your appointment, or when you check-in for your appointment, you should make sure that Student Health has your insurance information on file. In addition, we’ll verify that we have your correct address, etc. When you are called to see your provider, it is always helpful if you have the following information:

How much will an appointment cost?

Every appointment will cost a different amount, depending on what your healthcare provider discusses with you during the visit and what tests need to be done. If you have insurance, the process for how we bill insurance is outlined on our Insurance and Billing page. Check with your insurance company before your visit to determine what services are covered under your plan. If you don’t have insurance, your charges will go directly to your U-bill, unless you specify otherwise.

Will I see a “real” doctor?

Student Health is a full-service, accredited medical clinic staffed with physicians and advanced registered nurse practitioners. All of our healthcare providers receive the same training as the healthcare providers you may have seen when you’d visit your hometown doctor. For a full list of our providers and their credentials, check out their profiles on our Providers and Staff page.

Can I always request the same healthcare provider each time?

Yes, you can request that you see the same provider each time you make an appointment. If getting an appointment quickly is your priority, however; we’ll most likely make an appointment for you with the first available provider. Either way, your medical record can be accessed by any provider in the clinic.

What can I do if I have a medical question or need advice, but I don’t want to make an appointment?

Student Health has a a registered nurse as a Resource Nurse available to answer all of your questions during our clinic hours. Just give us a call. After-hours, your call will be directed to First Nurse, so you can still speak with a registered nurse about your issue.

Health Records & HIPPA

Can I have my health records transferred to your facility? How?

Follow our guidelines to get your health records where they need to go!

Can I sign HIPPA medical information release forms ahead of time?

Medical information can only be released to other parties AFTER the medical event has occurred. Learn about the proper procedure for signing the HIPPA medical information release forms!

Insurance & Billing

Is there a cost for your services?

Yes. Please visit Insurance and Billing to learn more about the process.

How do I pay for the services?

See our Insurance and Billing tab to learn more about the process.

How do we pay remaining bill after it’s been submitted through insurance?

The remainder does go directly to the u-bill, however your student can come to Student Health and pay the owed amount directly to us. When that amount is paid, he/she can request a receipt for your FLEX money (or use a FLEX debit card). Then the u-bill will be credited for the amount that has been paid off, and therefore will zero out the following month. See Billing and Insurance tab for more information.

Does my health insurance cover me at Student Health?

Check to see if Student Health is in network with your insurance provider.

Can I submit a copy of my health insurance in advance?

Yes! Submit my insurance information.

My health insurance is through my parents. Will they see what services I received (like HIV or STI testing, pregnancy testing, etc.)?

When a claim is filed to your insurance, an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) is sent to the insurance policy holder, traditionally a college student’s parent. The EOB usually only lists codes for the services provided and the coverage amounts for those services. However, anyone can Google the code listed on the the EOB to obtain a full description of the service provided. The policy holder can also call the insurance company to obtain the description of services provided.

Location & Services

Where are you located?

Student Health is conveniently located on the west side of campus. Find us on the campus map!

What kind of care do you provide?

Student Health is a full service medical clinic. Learn more about our services and staff.

What vaccinations do I have to have to be current for registration purposes?

All vaccination requirements for new students can be found on the New Students page.

Are flu shots free and how do I get one?

Flu vaccinations, either the shot or the mist, are not free for students, however we will bill your insurance company for the vaccination. Check with your insurance company before you get vaccinated to determine what services are covered under your plan. If you don’t have insurance, the charge for the vaccination will go directly to your u-bill, unless you specify otherwise.

Our Flu Vaccination page has all of the  information on how to get a flu vaccination, costs of the vaccinations, etc.

What kind of lab tests are available at Student Health? Do you do HIV and STI testing?

We can run a vast array of diagnostic tests for a large variety of conditions, including STIs and HIV. Your provider will discuss the best option for you based on your symptoms and health history. If you are concerned about the cost of the tests and do not want your insurance to be billed for them, make sure to discuss this with your healthcare provider during your visit.

How can I request a bulk supply of condoms?

Student Wellness and Thielen Student Health Center distribute approximately 80,000 free condoms on campus every year as a way to make Iowa State a safer place for our students. You can request bulk supplies of condoms via our online condom request form.

I have a question about Alcohol Edu.  Where can I get information?

All troubleshooting and FAQ information about our required online prevention programs can be found on Student Wellness’ Alcohol Edu page.

Are there advantages of going to Student Health over another Ames community doctor?

Although all of the healthcare resources in Ames offer high-quality, excellent health care to their patients, Student Health specializes in students. We understand the busy schedules and high demands that students face and may be able to connect you to on-campus resources more quickly than a community provider.


How do I transfer a prescription to your pharmacy?

You can transfer a prescription for any pharmacy and have it filled right here on campus. Just give our pharmacy a call at (515) 294-7983 and hit option 5. You can find additional information on prescriptions on our Pharmacy page.

Can you fill a prescription from my hometown doctor or my specialist?

Yes, your hometown doctor or specialist can ask our Student Health staff to fill it for you, just have them call (515) 294-7983.

How much does a prescription cost?

Every prescription will cost a different amount, depending on the medication your provider prescribes. If you have insurance, the process for how we bill insurance is outlined on our Insurance and Billing page. Check with your insurance company before your visit to determine what prescriptions are covered under your plan. If you don’t have insurance, your charges will go directly to your u-bill, unless you specify otherwise.

After Hours & Emergency Care

Since you’re not open 24/7 what should I do in case of an emergency?

If you have an emergency medical situation, it’s always best to call 911. If you’re not sure though, Student Health provides free 24-7 medical advice over the phone. Just call the First Nurse at (515) 294-5801 and a registered nurse will help you decide how urgent it is for you to be seen by a provider.

If you need non-emergency services outside of our normal business hours, you can visit McFarland Clinic After Hours Care.