For Appointments: (515) 294-5801

International Students Health Requirements

International Students Health Requirements

The Thielen Student Health Center looks forward to being your medical home away from home while you are here at Iowa State University. Listed below is a list of health requirements you need to meet before you come to campus. Please complete the tasks on this checklist to help you prepare and a list of what to bring with you when you come.

Health Orientation Visit

During your health orientation visit, you will meet with a member of the TSHC clinical staff to complete the following:

  • Review resources available to Iowa State Students within the Student Health and Wellness unit.
  • Review of immunization records and assistance with completion of ISU immunization requirements.
  • Review any health concerns and receive assistance with transfer of care needed by incoming students based on their individual needs.
  • Receive information regarding the Student and Scholar Health Insurance Program (SSHIP).
  • Assistance with connecting to other resources, as requested.

Immunization Requirements

Iowa State University follows the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations for student immunization requirements. These requirements are also found on the  international immunizations form.

Measles Requirements

ISU requires that all new (including transfer and graduate) students born on or after January 1, 1957, show proof of immunization or immunity to measles. Measles immunizations may be found on your immunization record listed as Measles, MMR, MR, or Rubeola (titer).

To meet the requirement, you must provide ONE of the following:

1. Proof of two measles and/or combination measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccination dates. The first measles vaccination must be administered after one year of age; the second measles vaccination must be administered at least 28 days after the first vaccination,

2. Proof of immunity to measles by positive rubeola (measles) titer or history of measles disease, OR

3. Proof of religious or medical exemption by submitting the appropriate Iowa Department of Health and Human Services exemption form.

Meningitis Requirements

The State of Iowa requires that all colleges and universities provide information on the meningitis vaccination to incoming students. If you will be living in the residence halls, it is recommended by the CDC that you receive this vaccination. This vaccination is not required, but it is recommended. If you have already received the meningitis vaccination, you will be prompted to document the vaccination on the immunization submission site.

There are two  different immunizations needed to protect against Meningitis.  One protects against Meningitis serogroups A, C, W, and Y.  The other vaccine protects against Meningitis serogroup B.  We recommend our students receive both vaccines to protect against all vaccine preventable serogroups of meningitis.

Tuberculosis Testing

Tuberculosis testing will be repeated upon arrival, but if you have previous records of testing from another United States University please complete and return this Release of Information so that we have that for our records. Tuberculosis testing for international students is done with a blood test rather than a skin test that you may have previously had and will be explained further during your visit.

Health Insurance Information

For mandatory international student insurance information, please visit the Iowa State University Student and Scholar Health Insurance Program’s site.

Have other medical questions?

Please feel free to email us at A member of our staff will respond to you as they are able. Please allow 72 hours for response as volume of emails can be high prior to new students arriving each semester.